Friday 31 May 2013

Vegetarian "Sausage" Rolls for the Whole Family

I'm not vegetarian but I do like my vegetables and I see no need to have meat in every meal.  There's something great about normal sausage rolls but there's also something a fatty about them too.  So why not do something vegetarian?

Well I gave it a go.  I loved them but the toddler was slightly less impressed (there was a pate sandwich in his eye line which was drawing his attention).  But I liked and will definitely make again.






Vegetable Rolls - makes around 20 or so

Ingredients

1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
200g, 7oz courgette (zucchini), approx one medium size
1 tsp Olive oil
1 tbsp fresh oregano
75g, 2.5oz Feta cheese
1 egg
2 tbsp Quark or cream cheese
Approx 250g, 12oz ready rolled puff pastry

Milk to brush.

Method

Chop the onion into small pieces.  Crush or chop the garlic.  Grate the courgette.  Fry the onion for a couple of minutes in the oil then add in the garlic and courgette.  Fry until softened and the liquid has evaporated.  Put into a bowl to cool.

Preheat the oven to 400F, 200oC, 180oC (fan), gas mark 6.

Once cool, add in the oregano, crumble in the feta cheese, egg and quark.



Cut the pastry into about 2 inch, 5 cm strips.  Put a line of the mix to one side of the pastry.  Fold over to make a long 'sausage' roll.  Seal with a fork along the edge.  Cut little vent holes then cut into short lengths.

Brush with milk and bake for approx 15 minutes or until browned and cooked through.

I froze the few I had left over and then defrosted them for lunch.  Even without warming, they were absolutely delicious.  Maybe it's a Mummy thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.