Friday 21 September 2012

Pepper, Onion and Goats Cheese Tart

I have to be honest and admit my son didn't have any of this but only because he was in bed.  I think he'd like although I'd have to watch out for him picking the cheese off the top and just eating that (he does love his cheese).

Anyway even if the kids don't get any, it's a very simple teatime dish, especially if you get ready rolled pastry and most of the prep can be completed in advance.




Pepper, Onion and Goats Cheese Tart - serves 2 adults

Ingredients

2 Small onions, thinly sliced
1 Red pepper (capsicum), thinly sliced
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp White wine vinegar
1 tsp Sugar
1 Clove garlic
A small sprig of rosemary
A splash of milk
180g approx 6.5oz Puff pastry
6 Slices of goats cheese (approx 60g, 2oz)

Method

Fry the onion, pepper and garlic together with the olive oil on a gentle heat.  Cover it with a large saucepan lid and continue to cook slowly for around 15 minutes or until very soft.  Keep stirring now and again to make sure they're not burning.

Add in the rosemary and turn up the heat slightly.  Add in the sugar and stir until dissolved and starting to caramelise.  Add in the vinegar and allow to almost boil off.  Take off the heat and allow to cool.

Heat the oven to 220oC - 200oC, 430F - 400F (I used 210oC for my fan oven).

Roll out approx 180g of the pastry and cut a rectangle.  Then score a line approx 1.5cm or half an inch from the edge of the pastry.  Put the onion and pepper mix into the centre then top with the goats cheese and brush the edge with milk.

Put into the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edge is risen and browned and the goats cheese is golden brown.  Ok, perhaps I should have taken mine out 1 minute earlier!



Serve hot or warm.

I've linked this up to meatless mondays:

8 comments:

  1. I love goat's cheese and this looks like a great way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a huge thing for goats cheese. It's almost good enough for me to give up meat (almost).

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious! Will definitely try it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it's a little 'toasted' around the edges but it did taste good!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it's a tad overdone but...

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your links in to Food on Friday. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.